What is Hoopla Digital?
Mason Public Library now offers streaming movies, television episodes, movies, music, ebooks, comics, and audio books through Hoopla. Popular titles are always available so you can borrow what you like, when you like.
Getting Started With Hoopla Streaming Media
You’ll need a few things to use streaming media:
- Your library card and 4-digit PIN
- One of these supported web browsers or mobile devices:
- Internet Explorer 8 or higher
- Firefox version 8 or higher
- Google Chrome
- Device with iOS 6 or higher
- Device with Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher
- A Hoopla account
- An app for your mobile device or add-on for your browser. You’ll be prompted to install the browser add-on if when you play your first title on your computer. If you’re using a supported mobile device, you can download the Hoopla app from the appropriate app store (Kindle Fire HDX users use the SlideME App):
You can learn all about the service on the Hoopla site help page. We’ve answered some common and MPL-specific questions below as well.
Frequently Asked Questions – Streaming Media
How many titles may I check out?
You may check out 6 titles in a calendar month. Although you may return titles early, doing so will not allow you to stream more than 6 titles per month. One check out consists of any of these items:
- A movie
- A television episode
- A music album
- An audio book
How long is the borrowing period?
The borrowing period depends on what you’ve borrowed.
- Movies and TV episodes – 3 days
- A music album – 7 days
- An audio book – 21 days
Items will check back in automatically at the end of the borrowing period, so you’ll never have overdue Hoopla items.
Do I need to be connected to the internet to watch or listen to my checked out titles?
Generally speaking, yes. Most content is streamed live over an internet connection. Be aware of this if you are streaming over a 3G/4G mobile data connection and have a limited data plan.
Some titles may be downloaded for offline viewing. Availability of this feature is based on studio or publisher restrictions. Titles may only be downloaded on iOS or Android devices using the Hoopla app and are downloaded to the app not the device.
Will I have to wait in a hold queue for popular titles?
No. All titles are available all the time so you will not be required to wait until someone else finished a title before you can check it out.
Does Hoopla work on the XBox 360, PS3, Roku or Chromecast?
Hoopla does currently work on Chromecast, AppleTV Roku and Amazon Fire. Currently hoopla does not work on gaming systems. For more info on how to load
Can I watch/listen to Hoopla on library computers?
At this time, you cannot watch/listen on the library computers.
Is this going to cost me money?
No. This is a free service of the Mason Public Library.
Can children use Hoopla?
Yes, children with library cards in good standing may use Hoopla. However, be advised that our Hoopla collection contains material that may not be suitable for all ages. Films and television shows are labeled by MPAA and TV ratings when they have been rated. Parents are responsible for guiding their children’s use of this and other library resources.
I’m having trouble. Where can I find help?
- Most questions can be answered by visiting Hoopla help.
- If you still are having trouble, please email email@example.com. We will respond on the next weekday that the library is open.