NOTE 3/18/2020: We expect summer reading and summer volunteering to be different in 2020 due to the constantly changing Covid-19 and social distancing situation. Volunteer registration is currently on hold for 2020. We will NOT be registering online starting on 4/1, as we had planned.
Mason Public Library invites reliable teens who:
- will have completed 6th-12th grade by June,
- have a Mason Public Library Card,
- submit parent-signed volunteer waivers at the training meeting,
- and attend a mandatory Training Session: 5/9/20 afternoon or 5/18/20 evening.
- can work independently after instruction
to assist with our Summer Reading Program during June, July, and early August.
Registration is completely online and opens April 1 at 5:00p.m. It remains open until 100 teens sign up. Click here to register.
IMPORTANT: If you just finished 6th grade, DON’T give us your Mason school email or use it with SignUpGenius or Remind. The school still blocks these until you start 7th grade in August 🙁 Use a different email or you won’t receive your reminders. This only applies to graduating Mason Intermediate 6th graders.
IMPORTANT: Each volunteer needs their own SignUpGenius account. Teen name must show so that scheduling works and prints correctly
Training Meeting: You must attend one meeting: 5/9/20 at either 2 or 3:30p.m. or 5/18/20 6p.m. Bring a phone or other device, your parent-signed release form, and a blank service hour form if you are tracking hours for a particular organization. You will be added to our Summer Remind group at that time, practice Online Scheduling with SignUpGenius, discuss Volunteer Expectations, and learn our Shelving rules.
Teen Volunteer Release
What Summer Volunteers do:
- Library Volunteers divide their 2 hour shifts between shelving children’s books and movies, craft prep, helping children with summer reading prizes, and doing other light tasks to free our staff to keep up with the summer crowds. Library Volunteer shifts are located at the Mason Public Library.
- Program Volunteers help us with setup and cleanup, with activities, crafts, playing games with the children, and crowd management. Tuesday/Wednesday Program Volunteer shifts will be located at the Mason Community Center and Friday at Cottell Park rather than the library. Only Thursday (and maybe a few other) Program shifts will be located at the Mason Public Library. Watch the location carefully. The library cannot provide transportation.
- Shelving Volunteers help after Summer Reading is over by shelving children’s books and movies and doing other light tasks to free our staff to keep up with the summer crowds. You won’t be awarding prizes. You might also do a bit of craft prep to help us get ready for fall story times. All Shelving Volunteer shifts are located at the Mason Public Library.
Scheduling Volunteer Shifts:
You will need your own SignUpGenius.com account (free), Remind.com account (free), email, and online access to schedule your shifts. A text number is convenient but optional. You will schedule yourself online for June, July, and August on these dates: 5/19/20, 6/16/20, and 7/14/20 respectively. We will send the links via Remind at 6:00p.m. EDT.
Scheduling will be online via SignUpGenius and is first come, first served. Your link will be sent via Remind.
- The June signup link will be sent on 5/19/19 at 6:00p.m.
- The July signup link will be sent on 6/16/19 at 6:00p.m.
- The August signup link will be sent on 7/104/19 at 6:00p.m.
2020 Planning Calendar (link will activate by early March): Print this and use it to plan your wish list. Cross out shifts where you aren’t available (vacations, no ride to the library, band camp or sports, etc.) Have this with you when registration starts because it moves quickly!
We cannot guarantee that the available shifts will fit your schedule. We cannot guarantee a specific number of hours. If you arrive late or miss habitually, especially with less than 48 hours notice, you will forfeit all remaining volunteer shifts. 3 “No Shows” and you are out.
Please contact Ms. Cheryl at Cheryl.vasan @ masonpl.org with any questions.